Monday, March 23, 2009

EDUCATIONAL LEADERSHIP

It was in my Masters of Educational Leadership study that I came across Love After Love. It’s amazing isn’t it, how one field of interest can lead to another – and they’re so singularly very different! Educational Leadership to Poetry! I was reading an article on Authentic Leadership by Bill George and low and behold, here was this poem that clearly spoke to me – hit me right in my emotional entrails. In his article, George articulates how in his early days as a leader, he felt he had to be perfect, or at least appear that way. He felt he had to hide his weaknesses from others, fearing they would reject him if they knew who he really was. Eventually, he realised that they could see his weaknesses more clearly than he could himself. In attempting to cover things up he was only fooling himself. He refers to the poem Love After Love as speaking to the benefits of being in touch with your disowned aspects and welcoming them into your life. If you are able to do this, you can become more comfortable with yourself and then more authentic in interactions with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment